Truancy Can Cause Failure In Life
[Reasons And Outcomes]
Are you having problems with your child? Is he skipping class and failing? These are common concerns of parents of an adolescent, but what is it with this age that makes some children do things that are somewhat hard to understand? You keep on coming up with answers until you have none left but “He’s a teenager, that’s why!”
Truancy is something that you just don’t ignore. According to Joel L. Young, MD, “Children who are truant from school don’t want to go because they’d rather do something else—and they often concoct complex schemes to get out of school.” As parents, it is your duty to deal with it in a manner that the child would understand the consequences of his actions.
What Could Be The Possible Outcomes Of Truancy?
- Failure.Yes! A child who is truant has a higher chance of failing in life if not provided with guidance at an early age. “Absences result in missed opportunities that cannot be replaced,” says researchers Carly D. Robinson and Monica G. Lee and psychologists Eric Dearing, PhD, and Todd Rogers, PhD. Some may think that grade school is irrelevant to one’s future because it doesn’t help with a child being a doctor, engineer, or a pilot. But how can he handle a big responsibility if he doesn’t know how to value small tasks and duties as a child?
- Lack Of Deep Relationships. A child who is always absent would most likely not develop deep friendships. If the reason for his truancy are also some kids claiming to be his friends, it is possible that they won’t have a lasting relationship because they’re all disturbed.
- Sh Teachers and parents talk, and when a child is misbehaving, people in the neighborhood would know. It will create a feeling of betrayal or the thought that everybody is against him, and the chances are, he will continue truancy with the people he thinks are real to him, which they clearly are not.
- Poor Self-Esteem. A child who is truant is also aware that his act is wrong, and somehow he is guilty but is in defense mechanism. As a result, he will try to avoid people who would reach out to him regarding his behavior. He is quiet, and if confronted, he is rude and defensive.
- Lost With No Direction.A child who skips class has a reason for doing it especially if he did it more than once. Although sometimes there will be no signs that he is disturbed,he usually There should be a way to make him realize that his parents and his family are the people who are the most concerned about his wellbeing. It is crucial that he knows they are not his enemy.
Truancy is a serious adolescent behavior problem. Some may think it is normal, but truancy is also lying which breaks trust. If a child is capable of doing so more than once without feeling guilty, parents should need to do something!
What Are The Reasons Why Some Children Are Truant?
“Truancy is a critical problem with potentially short- and long-lasting negative consequences at both the individual and the societal level. Hence, identifying potential risk and protective factors is a relevant task. Earlier research has shown that both individual, family-, and school-related conditions play a role for students’ inclination to play truant,” says Joacim Ramberg, PhD.
- Abused At Home. It can be a physical, emotional, or mental form of abuse. If a child suffers in any way,he would think of his home as a place of torture. Also, he has needs like a proper shelter, decent meals, space, and a healthy environment. If these necessities are not met, a child could suffer in many aspects including emotional and mental, and truancy is his way of dealing with the frustration.
- Bullied at School. If a child is continuously bullied or shamed at school, he wouldn’t want to be there. It is difficult to stand the emotional trauma a child suffers when being bullied, and staying away from school to stay away from an environment that causes him harm is the only choice for him.
- Separated Parents. Parents play a vital role in the development of a child’s morals and values. If parents are not getting along well or are separated, it can cause a child to think or worry or even doubt his worth. He might think that nobody at home cares about his opinions or feelings.
- Family Problems. A child should be enjoying his life because it is the only time he gets to be free from the responsibilities and demands of the adult world. He should not be worried about family problems because they stir his peace and innocence. Any form of misunderstanding or quarrel that happens in his knowing is a disturbance.
- Wrong Peers. Choosing the right peers is essential to a child’s life. They influence the formation of his dreams and aspirations and would most likely affect his behaviors. A child who mingles with the right peers can adapt their positive attitudes, so if a child is acting indifferently, there’s a possibility that he is with the wrong peers.
The family is a vital element determining one’s identity, specifically the adolescents. It is where their values, morals, and character are formed. It is essential that the family, particularly the parents, are aware of this. They should know that whatever the behavior of their child is, it started at home, so they should be the one to figure it out.
They could seek the cooperation of the teachers, friends, neighbors or anyone who influences their child. They could also ask for professional advice from people who are knowledgeable in dealing with adolescent behavioral problems.